The Zia and Priti Fund for Innovation and Impact is for international students who have identified a complex problem with a proposed innovative solution and have demonstrated they are ready to go out into the world to make an impact. Through this fund, students learn the skills to think, act, approach problems, and call on their own courage to thrive in complexity.
Students receive a $6,000 living stipend, coaching, department led curriculum, technological resources and a peer community over the 10-week summer program. This program specifically funds international students wanting to work on their idea in a country outside of the United States.
Additional selection priorities include:
- Students who demonstrate passion and commitment to their idea and how this experience will enhance their academic, career and personal goals.
- All other things being equal, students with high financial need will receive preference.
- As mentioned above, this program specifically funds international students wanting to work on their idea in a country outside of the United States, preferably in emerging markets in Latin America, Africa & Middle East and South/South-East Asia.
- Graduating seniors are not eligible to apply for this fund.
- Students who are planning to receive any summer research or other program stipends from the college are not allowed to participate.
- Projects can be worked on anywhere in the world outside of the United States, preferably in emerging markets in Latin America, Africa & Middle East and South/South-East Asia..
- All E&I summer program students are eligible for free on-campus housing and 1 academic credit covered by the Macalester College Academic Programs & Advising Office.
- Students are expected to dedicate themselves full-time (35-40 hours a week) to their project during the 10 week program and apply themselves diligently and responsibly to achieve the objectives outlined in their application.