Rossmann Excellence in Teaching Award
Weyerhaeuser Hall 202 651-696-6160
The Jack and Marty Rossmann Excellence in Teaching Award
Each spring Macalester College presents the Jack and Marty Rossmann Excellence in Teaching Award to a faculty member who has been identified by colleagues and students as exemplifying the teaching goals of Macalester. The award comes with a $5,000 cash prize and is announced at the annual Faculty and Staff Appreciation event.
All faculty members and students are invited to participate in the nomination process. Please review the following for information on submitting a nomination for consideration:
Who is eligible?
- Both tenured and non-tenured faculty members may be nominated.
- Nominees must have completed at least eight years of teaching at Macalester at the time of their nomination.
- Previous recipients of this award, the Burlington-Northern Award, or the Sears Award are not eligible. A list of previous winners can be found here. (PDF)
What critria will be considered in selecting the winner?
- Teaching: instructing in classes, seminars, and laboratories;
- Supervising individual activities: internships, service-learning experiences, performances, exhibitions, and independent study;
- Activities related to teaching:
- Advising – including course and major selection, career plans, and personal development;
- Academic program development – including the planning, design, or development of courses or curriculum;
- Educational leadership – including the development of innovations of any kind and at any level that constitute leadership and contribute substantially to undergraduate education.
- Generally, teaching activities will play the most prominent role in consideration since this award honors the teacher who inspires students to learn.
When are nominations taken?
- A call for nominations will go out early in the spring semester in the Mac Daily, and will also be distributed via the faculty and student email announcement lists.
What comprises a completed nomination?
- One primary letter of nomination signed by a current Macalester faculty member, or a current student and a current faculty member;
- One to three letters of support from Macalester faculty and/or staff members that include specific evidence of the nominee’s excellence in teaching;
- Three to seven letters of support from current students and/or alumni.
How do I submit a nomination?
- Materials should be submitted electronically to Ann Kraker in the Provost’s office. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please send all materials as separate Word or PDF documents.
- The 2022 deadline will be announced early in the Spring 2022 semester.