The Jack and Marty Rossmann Excellence in Teaching Award
Each spring Macalester College presents the Jack and Marty Rossmann Excellence in Teaching Award to a faculty member who has been identified by colleagues and students as exemplifying the teaching goals of Macalester. The award comes with a $5,000 cash prize and is announced at the annual Faculty and Staff Spring Luncheon.
Any faculty member or student is invited to participate in the nomination process. Please review the following for information on submitting a nomination for consideration:
Who is eligible?
- Both tenured and non-tenured faculty members who have completed at least eight years of teaching at Macalester may be nominated.
- Previous winners of this award, the Burlington-Northern Award, or the Sears Award are not eligible. (See below for a list of previous winners.)
What are the considerations for nominees?
- Teaching: instructing in classes, seminars, and laboratories along with supervising individual activities: internships, service-learning experiences, performances, exhibitions, and independent study.
- Activities related to teaching:
- Advising: includes course and major selection, career plans, and personal development;
- Academic program development: includes the planning, design or development of courses or curriculum;
- Educational leadership: includes developing innovations of any kind and at any level that constitute leadership and contribute significantly to undergraduate education.
- Generally, teaching plays the most prominent role in consideration as this award honors the teacher who inspires students to learn.
What comprises a completed nomination?
- One or two paragraphs describing why the nominated faculty member should receive this award;
- one or more letters of support from faculty members that include specific evidence of the nominee’s excellence;
- three or more letters of support from students.
Who selects the recipient?
- A faculty subcommittee of SPA (Strategic Planning and Analysis) screens nominations and selects the recipient.
When are nominations taken?
- A call for nominations along with nomination instructions goes out during spring semester. The Provost’s office serves as the collection point for materials which are then forwarded to the subcommittee of SPA.