Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • As a transfer student, can I live on campus?

    We encourage transfer students to live on campus in order to integrate themselves into the Macalester College community but housing space is not always available. Students will be informed at the time they are offered admittance if we expect to have space in campus housing for transfer students.

  • What size are the mattresses? Can I loft/de-loft my bed?

    All beds are twin-sized, extra-long (the dimensions are 36″ x 80″). We recommend purchasing extra-long twin sheets.

    Lofting beds are available in Dupre, Wallace, and 30 Mac.

    Bunking beds are available in Bigelow, Doty, Turck, Dupre, Wallace, Stadium, Language Houses, Summit House, and the Cottages.

    There is no bunking or lofting available in Kirk, GDD, or GCA.

    If you are interested in lofting your bed and would like a loft kit, please fill out our Loft Kit form.

    For details about the different options available for beds in each hall, please contact your Residence Hall Director found in the About section.

  • What about food service on campus?

    Bon Appetit  is our dinning services provider.  The main dining area is Café Mac, located on the first floor of the Ruth Stricker Dayton Campus Center.  Dining plan options are also available in the Campus Center at the Atrium Market upstairs in the Campus Center, Nessie’s in the lower level of the Campus Center, and at Scotty’s in the Leonard Center.   All new students are placed on Plan A –  19 meals per week with 100 flex points and 5 guest meals for fall semester.  After fall semester all students may choose from the three dining plan options, however the cost is the same amount for all plans.  More information about dining service at Macalester.

  • Can I park my car on campus?

    Contact Public Safety for more information about parking on campus.

  • What is my address? Can I ship boxes to campus prior to moving in?

    All mail and packages should be addressed as follows:

    Students first name, middle name, last name
    1600 Grand Avenue
    St. Paul, MN 55105

    Yes you can have boxes shipped to campus! Mailing Services has the information you need.

  • Is there student storage space on campus?

    Each residence hall has a storage room in which students may store personal items during the academic year. Students that live greater than 400 miles from campus may store a limited number of boxes to their fall assignment hall over the summer.  The residence hall staff maintains the storage room and designates hours at the beginning of the semester and at the end of the semester during which items may be placed in or taken out of storage.

  • Are there substance-free living options on campus?

    30 Macalester Street is the designated Healthy Living Hall.  Sophomores, juniors, and seniors that select to live in 30 Mac during room draw agree to refrain from the use of alcohol and illegal drugs while living in the hall.   First year students may request to be paired with a roommate that prefers to live on campus without the use of alcohol or illegal drugs by noting it on the Special Requests/comments line when they complete the Housing and Dining Agreement  preferences section.  Residential Life will honor these requests whenever possible within the limitations of our residence hall accommodations.

  • For Parents: How do I send a care package to my student?

    Students are always happy to receive care packages at the student post office. They will receive a notice to pick-up packages at the front window in the Post Office during normal business hours. If you choose to order a cake, a special treat, flowers, or anything perishable for your students, please have the package delivered to the Ruth Stricker Dayton Campus Center Information Desk located on the main floor.

  • For Parents: What should I do if I would like additional information?

    We encourage you to visit the Parent FAQ for additional information about academics, health and wellness, safety and security, etc.

  • Where can I find important phone numbers?

    Phone numbers and other contact information for faculty, staff, student organizations, etc. may be found in the Macalester College Directory or by calling the Telecommunications office at 651-696-6000.

  • How Can I Change Rooms?

    From August 26th – September 11th, 2022, we are on a housing freeze. Students are not allowed to swap rooms or request changes until after this date. On September 12th at 9:00 AM, students can start submitting Room Change Request forms. For more information, please visit the Room Change Request Form.