Before you travel…
- Make sure you have fraud alerts set up. This is important in case something you’re trying to purchase gets declined due to fraud suspicion. You will receive a text and email so that you can respond to whichever is easiest, and indicate the charge is valid so that any hold is lifted instantly, and you can continue on using your card.
- Know your PIN. Most merchants, especially outside the US, will require your code to process payment. If you need to reset your PIN call Wells Fargo at 1-800-932-0036 options 2, 1, 2. Remember, your PIN is not your Unique ID, but a 4-digit code of your choosing. It is a number you created when you first activated the card.
- Download the Wells Fargo mobile Pcard app. This is good to have on hand for checking your card limits/credit availability, and monitoring purchases. Download the app for Android Pcard App OR Apple Pcard App
- Most cards have a monthly limit of $5,000 and single transaction limit of $2,000. Consider if these limits are sufficient for your travel needs. You can check your available credit by logging into Wells Fargo and select your Personal Profile under User Information. At the very bottom of the page will be your specific card limits and available credit. Remember, the monthly credit limit resets on the 1st of the month, or the following business day if the 1st falls on a weekend. Contact your supervisor/Pcard approver via email and copy the Pcard Administrator to request a limit increase prior to your travel dates. Remember your approver must sign off in advance of any limit change.
- If you are traveling to either coast of the US, abroad, or have had difficulty in the past, contact the Pcard Administrator. A Merchant Category Code (MCC) strategy can be added to your account that allows the most commonly declined merchant or vendor codes to be authorized on your card. However, it eliminates Wells Fargo’s fraud detection and greatly increases Macalester’s liability. It is therefore monitored closely and only active for the shortest amount of time possible.
- Withdrawing cash from an ATM is also a special MCC strategy that needs to be given. If you think you’ll need cash, please email your approver and the Pcard Administrator to request this.
- If you have any other questions or concerns contact the Pcard Administrator . If Pcard Administrator is out of the office and it is an emergency contact the Director of Purchasing, Auxiliaries & Accounts Payable.
During your Travel…
For decline issues during your travel contact the Pcard Administrator or call Wells Fargo at 1-800-932-0036 or 612-332-2224 outside of Minnesota including international. You will need to enter your 16-digit card (account) number and Unique ID (your Macalester ID). If you do not remember your Unique ID you will need to provide the Company ID (macal196) and User ID used when you log on to view your statement. You may also have to answer your security questions. Please note that Wells Fargo is available by calling either number 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The Pcard Administrator is only available during regular Macalester hours.
Please contact the Pcard Administrator at [email protected] or (651) 696-6558 with any questions.