NOTE: It is the policy in our department to not declare MSCS majors and minors for first-semester, first-year students.
Completing multiple programs of study within the MSCS Department:
Because the MSCS Department offers multiple majors and minors, with some overlap between programs, we have put in place some restrictions on how many and which majors and minors you can declare together.
- You may complete at most two programs of study in the MSCS department: two majors, one major and one minor, or two minors.
- The table below indicates which double-majors are permitted:
Major Major Mathematics Computer Science Data Science Statistics Mathematics No Yes No No Computer Science Yes No No Yes Data Science No No No No Statistics No Yes No No
- Any major-minor combination is permitted, other than pairing a major with the same-named minor (Math and Math, for example). This is subject to the constraint that no more than two courses for the minor may appear on any other major, minor, or concentration plan.
- All minor-minor combinations are permitted
To declare a Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or Data Science major in the MSCS Department:
- Review the Major Requirements.
- Open and Copy the MSCS Major Planning Form. You will need to be logged in to Google using your Macalester email address to access this file.
- You will not be able to edit this form, but you should make a Copy of it and fill it in with your information, the MSCS courses you have taken so far, and if you know them, the courses you hope to take. It is okay if you are unsure what courses to take. Name the file with your name.
- Set up a meeting with a member of the department to discuss and update your plan. This need not be your official college advisor. It is typically someone who you have had a class or two from. If it happens that you do not know someone to serve in this role for you, see the department chair.
- You will need to Share the plan with this faculty member. The faculty member will move your plan to a shared MSCS folder. This plan is only for planning purposes; it is not an official major declaration, nor will you be required to do exactly what is on the plan.
- Meet with the faculty member, then meet they’ll look over the plan and help you get your major declared on DegreeWorks.
To declare a Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science minor in the MSCS Department:
- Review the Minor Requirements.
- Make a List of the courses for the minor you have taken and plan to take, and
- Bring that list with a faculty member in the area, then meet they’ll look over the plan and help you get your minor declared on DegreeWorks.