Finding a Job on Campus
First year students who receive a student employment award are given access to online job postings and may begin applying for positions in mid-May.
Due to the limited number of open positions, it may be difficult for students to be hired in their first choice of job or department. The majority of new student employees will work in departments employing the largest number of students, including Facilities Services, Cafe Mac and Athletics. Students who are lifeguard certified are strongly encouraged to apply for a Lifeguard position.
Frequently Asked Questions
I applied for jobs, but the item has not been marked as complete. When will that happen?
How will I know if I’ve been selected for a position?
How many jobs should I apply for?
Can I change jobs?
Do I have to work on campus?
Can I work on campus even though I don’t have a student employment award?
Once I am hired, should I withdraw my other applications?
What if I’m not selected for the positions I applied for?
This item will be marked as complete once you have been selected for a job.
You will receive an email confirmation with the position and details when you are hired. You can also check the status of your applications via your dashboard.
You may apply for as many positions as you like. There are many students applying for positions, so we recommend applying for 3-5 positions.
First year students may not change jobs until Spring semester. The first position you agree to is your job for the year unless you decide to switch after first semester.
No. Students are not required to work on campus.
Potentially. Students with a student employment award are give priority for positions. Once those students have jobs, any remaining positions can be filled by students without an award. Students without an award can apply for positions beginning in the Fall.
Yes! It is a courtesy to other supervisors to let them know when you have been selected for another position. Applications can be withdrawn via the job dashboard. Go to the Student Life tab in 1600grand, click on Find a Job and the Dashboard.
If the application deadline passes and you haven’t yet been selected for a position, please reach out to Student Employment.
Employment paperwork must be dropped off or completed at the Resource Fair on Move In Day.
- ✓ Form I-9 In order to complete this form, students must bring appropriate identification as explained on the Lists of Acceptable Documents. Documents must be original and unexpired. Photographs and copies of documents will not be accepted.
- ✓ Federal W-4 Form (secure e-signature)
- ✓ Direct Deposit
- ✓ Minnesota W-4 Form (secure e-signature)
- ✓ Confidentiality Agreement & Healthcare Options Acknowledgement Sign once you have reviewed the New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options and Your Health Coverage. You do not need to fill in any fields on this document.
Before starting your employment, all student employees must complete and sign an I-9 Form and provide original documents to establish identity and employment eligibility.
- ✓ Form I-9 must be completed and signed at the drop-in session. In order to complete this form, students must bring appropriate identification as listed on the Lists of Acceptable Documents to establish identity and employment eligibility.
- ✓ Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, bring to drop-in session.
- ✓ I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Bring a printed copy of your I-94 to the drop-in session.
- ✓ Register for a GLACIER account. GLACIER is a nonresident alien tax compliance system. Registration must begin before your first payment as a Macalester student employee. All international students will receive an email from GLACIER with instructions on how to register for an account. Follow the instructions and bring the required forms and document copies to the drop-in session.
- ✓ Confidentiality Agreement & Healthcare Options Acknowledgement Sign once you have reviewed the New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options and Your Health Coverage You do not need to fill in any fields on this document.
- ✓ Direct Deposit Complete and sign. You will have the opportunity to enroll in a US bank account prior to this session.
Additional Requirements and Deadlines
- ✓ Apply for a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN). Macalester’s International Student Programs will provide you with assistance in applying for an SSN. Your SSN must be on file with Employment Services no later than six weeks after the start of your employment at Macalester.
- ✓ Record your SSN with GLACIER. Go to www.online-tax.net and log in. Enter your SSN in the appropriate field, print and sign the resulting documents, and bring these documents to Employment Services, 201 77 Mac.