Long Term Care Insurance
77 Macalester Street, Room 201 651-696-6280
Long Term Care, underwritten by LifeSecure Insurance Company, provides assistance for basic daily activities including eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting, health and safety supervision, and more. The need for Long Term Care may develop from things such as an accident, illness, stroke, advanced age or other chronic conditions such as Alzheimer’s, Dementia or Parkinson’s disease. Long Term Care consists mainly of personal care rather than medical care, which is typically covered by a health plan.
If you wish to apply for coverage, you would be responsible for paying all premiums for this benefit. Premiums vary based upon the amount of coverage you select, your age, and if your spouse/partner also applies. The premiums you pay may be eligible for a long-term care insurance tax credit on your state income tax return.
If you have a Health Savings Account, you can reimburse yourself using pre-tax dollars from your HSA for LTC premiums paid. Please consult your tax advisor to determine your potential tax benefits.
For more information about the coverage options available to you and your spouse/partner, premium rates, or for assistance with running a quote or applying for coverage, please call Macalester College’s dedicated Long-Term Care consultant, Rex Kohl, at: (612) 719-1707.
The Macalester College Group Number is: 02513V
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can Long Term Care be provided?
- In your own home
- At an adult day care center
- In an assisted living facility or nursing home
What does Long Term Care Insurance typically cover?
- Custodial care when recovery is unlikely
- Home care and assistance with daily tasks such as eating, bathing and dressing
- Visits to an adult day care center to provide respite care for caregivers
- LifeSecure Group #: 02513V
- Dedicated Phone #: (612) 719-1707
- What to Expect After You Apply for LTC Insurance (PDF)
- Understanding the Risk: Why Should you Consider LTC Insurance (PDF)
- Can You Afford to Pay for Care? (PDF)
- Resources for planning ahead (PDF)
- LTC Product Overview Flyer (PDF)
- Sample Premium Rates (PDF)