New International Students, Welcome to Mac!
See our Pre-Departure Checklist for everything you need to do before you leave home, as well as other important information/resources (visa applications, phones, winter clothes, etc).
If you have questions relating to admissions, please refer to International Student Admissions
Other useful links:
- Pre-Orientation For International Students (PO4IS) occurs from August 26-29, 2019 (before the All Student Orientation). It is designed to meet the specific needs of international students. If you require a visa to study in the US, you are required to attend PO4IS. If you are a US citizen or resident that completed high school outside of the US, you are encouraged to attend PO4IS. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
- All Student Orientation happens from August 29 to September 2, 2019 (after PO4IS and before classes start); it is open to all incoming students.
- Mentor Program matches all incoming international students and domestic Ametrica participants to a returning student mentor, who will help them transition to life at Mac and in the US. All incoming international students will automatically enroll in this program.
- Ametrica Program brings incoming international and domestic students together to discuss different topics through a cross-cultural lens. It begins during PO4IS and lasts for 10 weeks. Additional applications are required.
- Friends Of Macalester International Students (FoMIS) Host Family Program is an optional program that matches international students with local families for a cross-cultural exchange and friendship (non residential). Applications are required.
- Immigration Authorization Transfer Recommendation/Release (SEVIS Transfer Form) – Fill out if you have attended school in the US prior to coming to Macalester.
- International Exchange, Visiting, Or Transfer Students study at Macalester under different circumstances than incoming first-year students.
- Student Employment is available to international students who have received a work study through financial aid. Consult this link to learn more about government regulations, work study forms, and ways to receive authorization for working on campus if you have not already been assigned a job.
Here is a short video introducing what our department provides for international students. Enjoy!