To obtain a Social Security Number (SSN), replace a lost or missing Social Security Card (SSC) or change incorrect information on the card, you must go in person to the Social Security Card Center located in Minneapolis.
Bring the following documents
- I-20 (or DS-2019)
- Completed SS-5 Form
- Supervisor and DSO Attestations Form (on letterhead)
Monday-Friday 9 am - 4:00 pm (although the line may close at 3:30 pm).
Closed on U.S. Federal holidays. It is often busier on Mondays and Fridays; Wednesdays are typically the best days and be prepared to wait in line, and try to get there before 2:30 pm as they may close door if you are not already in line by that time.
After Submitting Your Social Security Application
- Request a Receipt Letter from the Social Security official (proof that you applied and contact information if you have problems)
- Wait 1-3 weeks for your SSC to arrive
- After you receive your card you will need to update the following:
- Log onto GLACIER and update your profile with your SSN. If prompted to do so, print out required forms, bring your SSC and forms to Mac's Employment Service Office at 77 Mac.
- If you have U.S. bank account, share your SSN with your respective bank.
- Keep your SSC safe! It is not an ID, so keep it somewhere safe and share it wisely.