To obtain a Social Security number (SSN), replace a lost or missing Social Security card, or change incorrect information on your Social Security card, you must go in person to the Social Security Administration (SSA) Card Center located in Minneapolis. There is no charge for a Social Security number or card. Once issued the number is assigned to you for the rest of your life.



Due to current health pandemic, the SSA office in Minneapolis is not taking walk-up visits. To apply for new SSN, you must mail copies of your documents to the address below. Social Security office will then contact you by mail only to make an appointment for you to come in to finish your application for new (or replacement card). It may take 2 months or more for an appointment letter and another month after that for new (or replacement card) to be issued.

As of August 31, 2021, if you want a faster appointment time for a new SSN, you must go to their Minneapolis in order to make an appointment; you will then return on the appointed date with originals of required documents listed below. There is a different line for those with appointment letters so please make sure you ask which line is which. Each line might be very long so plan for at least 2 hours for your trip(s).

If you are applying for a replacement SSN card: The interview is not required for replacement SSN application. You should bring your completed SS-5 form AND all your original documents to the Express Drop-Box line to the SSA office in Minneapolis; plan accordingly as the lines may be long.

Mail copies of these documents (bring originals to your appointment)

  • Send copies of these documents (not original)
  • Completed SS-5 Form
    • Write legibly in block letters (not cursive) using black or blue ink only
    • Line 1 – Use legal/passport name only; do not use any preferred or nicknames
    • Line 5 – Tick box “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”
    • Lines 9 & 10 – If you are under 18 years old and applying for Social Security Number (SSN), complete the lines. For mother’s “Last” name, use their maiden surname (name at birth before marriage). For 9B and 10B, leave blank unless your parent(s) have U.S. social security number (SSN). If parent(s) have SSN but you don’t know it, mark Unknown.
    • Line 12 – Complete only if you are applying for replacement SSN, NOT for initial SSN
    • Line 15 – If you don’t have a U.S. phone number, use ISP’s office number, 651-696-6992.
    • Line 16 – Mailing Address – if you are current student and receive mail on-campus, use campus mailing address on 2 lines (otherwise use address you are living at)
      • C/O ISP, 1600 Grand Ave
      • St Paul, MN 55105
  • Completed Student Employment Administrator and DSO Attestations Form (on letterhead)

Location & Hours

SSA Card Center
1811 Chicago Avenue, Suite 2
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Map   Directions
Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(although the line may close at 3:30 pm)
Make sure you go to the Card Center building Closed on U.S. Federal holidays. Mondays and Fridays are busiest; Wednesdays are typically the best days. Be prepared to wait in line, and try to get there before 2:30pm, as they may close the door if you are not already in line by that time.

After Submitting Your Social Security Application

  • Request a receipt letter from the Social Security official (proof that you applied and contact information if you have problems).
  • Wait 1-3 weeks for your Social Security card or SSN to arrive.
  • After you receive your card, you will need to update the following:
    • Sign your Social Security card.
    • Log onto GLACIER and update your profile with your SSN. If prompted to do so, print out required forms and sign it, bring your Social Security card and forms to Mac’s Employment Services Office at 77 Mac. Due to the heath pandemic, you may send the signed PDF to
    • If you have U.S. bank account, share your SSN with your bank.
    • Keep your Social Security card safe! It is not an ID so do not carry it in wallet or purse, keep it somewhere safe and share it wisely.
  • Beware of scams, people posing as government officials with threatening phone calls, requesting you send them money or personal information, e.g, email, phone number, your address, SSN.
    • Do not share your Social Security Number (SSN) with anyone you do not trust or know via email, over the phone, etc.
    • Learn more about SSN scams from the U.S. government’s Federal Trade Commission site, you may also watch their video.
    • Learn about other scams from this U.S. government site.
    • U.S. government officials generally contact you by mail if you need to follow up with something, not by threatening phone calls or emails and asking for money.
    • Arizona State University has a video regarding scam contacts.
    • Let ISP know if you get letter, call, email, etc. and we can help you figure out if something is a scam or real contact.

General Information on Social Security
Information on new and replacement Social Security cards