Welcome to the MAX Center!
We offer support in math, science, writing, economics, and study skills.
You can meet with our tutors
All tutoring will take place remotely during Academic Year 2020-2021.
- Our writing tutors are available for scheduling and Zoom consultations through WC Online.
- Zoom links for STEM and Econ tutors are available through our STEM Gateway page. (note: you must be logged into your Macalester email account to access the Gateway page)
- Check the Science and Math pages to see when tutors are available for help with specific courses.
You can meet with our professional staff
You can also contact our professional counselors for assistance:
- Dave Ehren at email@example.com for assistance with math
- Stephanie Alden at firstname.lastname@example.org for science or study skills
- Becky Graham at email@example.com for writing or study skills
- Jake Mohan at firstname.lastname@example.org for writing.
“The MAX Center!”
A promotional video by writing tutor Faith Isham ’23
Dr. Anthony Jack: “Help-seeking is a mark of strength”
During his remarks at Macalester’s First Thursday Convocation on September 3, Anthony Jack, sociologist and assistant professor at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education, made the case for the kind of academic assistance the MAX Center provides. His remarks emphasize how crucial it is for all of us to ask others for help:
“Help-seeking is a mark of strength. It is a sign that you are wise enough to know that you are approaching the edge of your own understanding about a subject or something that you need to embark upon a path that is better traveled collectively, with others, than done alone. Seeking out support is how you secure the bag. … No one does anything all on their own.”
Meet Dave Ehren, MAX Center Director
In this Admissions video for admitted students, Dave Ehren ’87 talks about resources the MAX Center can offer students.
The MAX Center: Where underprepared students prepare, prepared students advance, and advanced students excel.
The MAX Center assists students with:
- the disciplines of Math, Science, Economics 119, and Writing
- the skills required for good time-management and study habits
- building a culturally diverse learning community
- academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities. We offer individual and group assistance at no charge in mathematics, biology, chemistry, writing, study skills, time management, and other areas.
Beyond classroom work, we provide assistance with:
- capstone papers and honors projects
- personal statements and applications for scholarships
- study-abroad programs
- graduate school and professional school
- preparation for graduate school examinations
When is a tutor available?
The MAX Center tutors will be back for online tutoring beginning Jan. 24, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. CT time. Mod 3 & 4 hours are as follows:
Sunday through Thursday 7:00 -10:00 p.m., and Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m – 4:30 p.m.
Note that the math and science calendars do not show scheduled appointments, only tutors’ scheduled work hours.
Contact Reports MAX Center clients and tutors can report an appointment here.
Tutor Resources (Accessible to MAX employees only)