Welcome to Fall Semester!
The MAX Center is here to help. We offer support in math, science, writing, economics, and study skills.
All tutoring will take place remotely during Module 1 of the fall semester. Our hours of operation are as follows (Central Daylight Time):
Monday – Friday, 1 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday – Thursday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Our Writing Tutors are available for scheduling through WC Online. Zoom links for STEM and Econ tutors are available through our STEM Gateway page. Check the Science and Math pages to see when tutors are available for help with specific courses.
You can also contact our professional counselors for assistance: Dave Ehren for assistance with math, Stephanie Alden for science or study skills, Becky Graham for writing or study skills, and Jake Mohan for writing.
Dr. Anthony Jack: “Help-seeking is a mark of strength”
During his remarks at Macalester’s First Thursday Convocation on September 3, Anthony Jack, sociologist and assistant professor at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education, made the case for the kind of academic assistance the MAX Center provides. His remarks emphasize how crucial it is for all of us to ask others for help:
“Help-seeking is a mark of strength. It is a sign that you are wise enough to know that you are approaching the edge of your own understanding about a subject or something that you need to embark upon a path that is better traveled collectively, with others, than done alone. Seeking out support is how you secure the bag. … No one does anything all on their own.”
Meet Dave Ehren, MAX Center Director
In this Admissions video for admitted students, Dave Ehren ’87 talks about resources the MAX Center can offer students.
The MAX Center: Where underprepared students prepare, prepared students advance, and advanced students excel.
The MAX Center assists students with:
- the disciplines of Math, Science, Economics 119, and Writing
- the skills required for good time-management and study habits
- building a culturally diverse learning community
- academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities. We offer individual and group assistance at no charge in mathematics, biology, chemistry, writing, study skills, time management, and other areas.
Beyond classroom work, we provide assistance with:
- capstone papers and honors projects
- personal statements and applications for scholarships
- study-abroad programs
- graduate school and professional school
- preparation for graduate school examinations
When Is a Tutor Available?
Note that the math and science calendars do not show scheduled appointments, only tutors’ scheduled work hours.
- Writing Tutors
- Math Tutors
- Science Tutors
- Economics Tutors
- Gateway to Zoom meetings with STEM Tutors
Contact Reports MAX Center clients and tutors can report an appointment here.
Tutor Resources (Accessible to MAX employees only)