Gather Your Colleagues
Get ready to challenge yourself—and your teammates—to move more. Sign up for the Make a Move Team Challenge to add a dose of friendly competition!
Registration Is Open Now. Sign Up And Join Your Team By September 10
Challenge Runs September 10 to October 21
- Log on at healthpartners.com/wellbeing or click the Living Well icon in the myHP app
- If you haven’t already done so, complete your Health Assessment
- Select the Make a Move Challenge
- Join a team. You’ll compete against other divisions at Mac!
- Track your activity or sync your fitness device
Attention Apple Users: You can sync Apple Health with our 10,000 Steps Program! Don’t see the option to connect? Make sure your myHP app is up to date. If you’re participating in the Make a Move Challenge, register for 10,000 Steps and connect Apple Health. Your steps will automatically transfer over to the challenge.
All Activity Counts
The goal is to move as much as possible in six weeks. Walk, bike, lift weights, do whatever makes you happy and feel good! The team that tracks the most steps—on average—wins. Get credit for completing the challenge by tracking at least once a week. The winning team will receive bragging rights and some sweet Macalester swag.
All employees and their spouse/domestic partner who participate in Macalester’s benefits plan have access to join. The Make a Move Challenge counts as a qualifying well-being activity for your wellness incentive. The deadline to earn your incentive is October 31, 2023.
Free pedometers are available upon request. First come, first serve.
Contact Kelly Fang at [email protected] with questions.
Build a strong back with Healthy Back!
WHAM’s excited to announce a new activity to support your neck and back health, Healthy Back, is now available from HealthPartners Living Well in partnership with Wellbeats.
Did you know that back pain impacts 4 out of 5 people during their lifetime? Take initiative today and learn how to maintain and strengthen your back health!
A healthy back can improve posture and balance and is key in performing exercises with proper form to avoid injury.
What to expect:
- 4-week activity
- 3-5 virtual on-demand classes each week offered through Wellbeats, including yoga, strength training and circuits
- All classes are virtual and led by Wellbeats instructors, so you choose the most convenient time to complete them.
- Participating in this activity is voluntary. It’s advised to consult your health care provider before participating in any physical activity or fitness programs.
Get started today.
We are thrilled to offer this important resource to all of you!
Take the first step to better health
If you’ve been on the sidelines for a while, the thought of getting back into the workout game can be intimidating. But don’t worry: WHAM and HealthPartners Living Well is here to help you every step of the way. There are many reasons to get in better shape, from feeling better and moving better, to simply having more energy for the people you love. And what’s the most important reason? The one that motivates you most.
Here’s some activities that can help get you going:
- 10,000 Steps: Take your fitness journey one step at a time with our 10,000 Steps challenge. In this activity, you will track your steps, or any form of activity, set daily goals and feel your best by getting your body moving at your own pace.
New this year – Apple Integration: The myHP app now offers seamless integration with Apple devices so you can quickly switch from your iPhone to Apple Watch to compatible third-party devices and back to track all your health and fitness data. To start syncing, download and open the myHP app, select “Living Well” and choose “See more recommended activities.” Open the 10,000 Steps activity to start connecting to Apple Health.
Reaching your fitness goals has never been easier, so start the 10,000 Steps challenge today! Complete your health assessment to access activities and challenges if you haven’t already.
Earn your reward
Completing a well-being activity to improve your back pain or physical fitness can also help you earn your wellness reward. Those with single coverage can earn a $150 Mastercard reward card for completing the program requirements. If you have a spouse or domestic partner on your health insurance through Macalester, you can earn a $300 Mastercard reward card. Both you and your covered spouse or partner must complete the program requirements by October 31, 2023 to earn the $300 reward card. Visit healthpartners.com/signin/livingwell to get started.
Build a healthier mind for a stronger you
Stress is a part of life. When you’re stressed, you may find yourself focusing on negative thoughts, and that negative energy can affect your health. That’s why resilience – the ability to bounce back from stress – is so important.
Like most skills, resilience takes time to develop. Get started today with help from WHAM and HealthPartners. Well-being activities like Coaching, myStrength, and Tackle Stress are available to help you build healthy thinking habits, learn more about what triggers stress in your life and how to manage it head on. Learn more about each of these tools below:
- Health Coaching: Juggling demands can be challenging. Two common sources of imbalance: When work gets in the way of your home life, and when home life gets in the way of your work. Kelly Fang, your certified health coach can help you identify your values, assess your priorities and most importantly, set boundaries to create capacity for self-care.
- myStrength: A flexible and comprehensive digital program with proven tools and activities for stress, depression, sleep and more – all tailored to your unique needs. Learn from hundreds of activities, articles and videos. Try in-the-moment tools: Practice techniques to help you calm down, shift your thinking, get inspired and feel more hopeful.
- Tackle Stress: Learn stress management techniques by reading and watching videos to use in your daily life. Commit to trying four new stress management techniques throughout this activity. Track each habit 3 to 6 times before moving on.
To access these activities and many more, you must have HealthPartners insurance through Macalester College, and complete your annual health assessment. Please note that health coaching is available to all Macalester employees and their spouse or partner, regardless of insurance.
Completing a well-being activity to improve your emotional resilience can also help you earn your wellness reward. You’ll earn a $150 Mastercard reward card for completing the program requirements. If you have a spouse or domestic partner on your health insurance through Macalester, you can earn a $300 Mastercard reward card. Both you and your covered spouse or partner must complete the program requirements by October 31, 2023 to earn the $300 Reward Card. Visit healthpartners.com/signin/livingwell to get started.
Eat better, feel better
Whether it’s to do your best, feel your best or both, we all have our motivations for eating better. But it’s not always easy to make smart food choices. Are carbs good or bad? How much salt is too much? Anyone can get frustrated when it comes to healthy eating habits. Luckily, you don’t have to navigate nutrition alone. WHAM helps you discover what works for your body and lifestyle, with tools and resources that make good nutrition a part of your everyday life.
Check out these nutrition-based activities that will guide you to healthy eating in no time:
- Go for Fruits and Veggies: Learn how to set achievable goals, find ways to create and maintain healthier habits and build a better relationship with fruits and vegetables.
- Sugar Smart: Discover how to balance your sugar intake while finding alternatives to your favorite sweets along the way.
- Health & well-being coaching: Free health coaching gives you one-on-one support plus resources to help you find the right balance of lifestyle adjustments to achieve your goals.
Complete your annual health assessment to access these well-being activities and many more.
Completing a well-being activity to improve your nutrition can also help you earn your wellness reward. You’ll earn a $150 Mastercard reward card for completing the program requirements. If you have a spouse or domestic partner on your health insurance through Macalester, you can earn a $300 Mastercard reward card. Both you and your covered spouse or partner must complete the program requirements by October 31, 2023 to earn the $300 Reward Card. Visit healthpartners.com/signin/livingwell to get started.
Join WHAM’s Racquet Brackets
Kick-off spring with a fun and friendly racquet sports tournament.
Get the blood pumping to your heart and brain with tennis or racquetball, or just stay in your work clothes and burn off some stress with table tennis. All experience levels welcome!
Choose from tennis, racquetball, table tennis, or choose more than one. This tournament is for singles play only.
What if I don’t have my own equipment?
WHAM has purchased a limited number of equipment for staff and faculty use only. If you have your own equipment, we encourage you to bring it.
The following equipment can be checked out from the Leonard Center’s front desk. Please return the equipment promptly.
- 4 table tennis paddles and balls
- 2 racquetball sets (racquet, balls and protective eyewear)
- 2 tennis racquets
Note: tennis balls are available in the fieldhouse equipment storage room. Please ask a staff member for access.
Register by Monday, March 13 (one week only!).
March 14-17: WHAM will form the brackets for Round 1 and give you time to schedule your first match with your opponent. Dates are approximate depending on the number of participants and how quickly folks can complete their games.
March 20 – 24: Round 1
March 27 – 31: Round 2
April 3 – 7: Round 3
April 10 – 14: Round 4 – all matches must be completed by the end of this week.
Week of April 17: Celebration social (date & time TBD)
How to play – Are you new to the sport or haven’t played in a while? Don’t let that stop you from having fun. WHAM has put together instructions and scoring guidelines for each sport and there will be consolation rounds so that everyone has the opportunity to play throughout the tournament
How to reserve a court – The table tennis table in the lobby of the Leonard Center is first come, first served.
For tennis and racquetball, WHAM has reserved some courts for participants to use during the tournament. Please add your name and your opponent’s name to the sign-up sheet once you both agree on a date and time to play.
If none of these times work for you and your opponent, you may check EMS for court availability and submit your reservation request 72 hours in advance of your desired time.
- Browse by Location
- Then to filter locations, select “Add/Remove Locations” and select the Leonard Center
- Select a date
- Scroll to find LC 114 Fieldhouse Court A, B, C and D, or LC 109 Squash Court A and B
- Participants are encouraged to choose a time prior to 4:00 pm as LC usage by students and athletic teams increases significantly in the evenings
- Once you find an available date and time, reserve the court by emailing [email protected]
- Please note that it can take 24-72 hours to get a confirmation
How much time commitment – A complete game of table tennis should only take about 45 minutes. You’ll only play one match each week. This should only require a total of a two hour time commitment over the course of the 4-week tournament.
Tennis and racquetball games may take up to one hour. You’ll only play about one game each week. This should only require a total of a 4 hour time commitment over the course of the 4-week tournament.
Staff and faculty are welcome to sign up for more than one sport to get more playing time.
WHAM’s mission is to foster a working and learning environment which promotes and supports well-being. Healthier lifestyles among faculty and staff will in turn create happier, more productive individuals who benefit themselves, our students, and the greater community.
Let’s continue to make Mac a great place to work. Take a break from your workspace and meet up with colleagues for some friendly matches. Get the blood pumping to your heart and brain, relieve some stress, and have fun.
Master your mind
You want to be there to support friends and loved ones, and you want to feel present for all of life’s moments. But sometimes, that’s easier said than done. When you’re not in a healthy mindset, it can take a toll on your relationships and physical health.
Good mental health looks different for everyone. That’s why WHAM and HealthPartners Living Well has many resources to help you find the best solutions for you, including:
- myStrength: If you’re looking for ways to feel more in control, myStrength can help. It’s an online program that gives you access to hundreds of activities, articles and videos designed to improve your mental health and emotional well-being. It helps:
- Reduce stress
- Improve sleep
- Manage anxiety and depression
- Learn mindfulness and meditation techniques
- And more
- Wellbeats: For exercise that boosts your mood and improves mental health, check out Wellbeats. You can access thousands of exercise and workout routines for all fitness levels, including yoga and meditation videos to soothe stress.
- WHAM’s Mindfulness Class: This class, which is open to everyone (whether you are new to mindfulness or if you would like to revitalize or deepen your meditation practice). Each session offers time away from your busy day to rejuvenate, through guided meditations and the exploration of mindfulness and compassion practices.
Take your annual health assessment to access myStrength, Wellbeats and many more well-being activities.
Completing a well-being activity to improve your emotional resilience can also help you earn your wellness reward. You’ll earn a $150 Mastercard reward card for completing the program requirements. If you have a spouse or domestic partner on your health insurance through Macalester, you can earn a $300 Mastercard reward card. Both you and your covered spouse or domestic partner must complete the program requirements by October 31, 2023 to earn the $300 Reward Card. Visit healthpartners.com/signin/livingwell to get started.
To help support you in your path to Well-being, we offer a number of activities. From tracking habits to moving more, there are a number of ways to participate in our Well-being programs. Some of them include:
- Go for Fruits & Veggies
- Healthy Thinking
- Choose to Lose
- Tackle Stress
- Sugar Smart
- 10,000 Steps
- Sleep tracker
- Stress tracker
Macalester Specific Activities
Here are a list of the eligible activities you can complete to earn your wellness incentive:
- Preventive Care Visit (must be completed between September 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023; No tracking or forms are required on your part; HealthPartners will load the completion of your visit 3-5 months after your appointment
- One 6-week WHAM activity class: Circuit Training, Boot Camp, Yoga, Mindfulness, etc.
- One 4-6 week activity coordinated by Wellness Coach
- Leonard Center/Gym: Exercise at the Leonard Center at Macalester, at home, or at a gym of your choice at least 12 times per month (or about 3 times per week) for a minimum of two months.
- Personal Training: Complete at least 3 sessions with Macalester’s Personal Trainer before October 31, 2023
Attend at least 3 WHAM Lunch & Learns (virtually or in-person) between November 2022 and October 31, 2023
- Nice Healthcare: For 2023 you must use Nice once to refill a prescription, complete physical therapy or manage a chronic condition in order to count it as a qualifying activity.
- EAP Wellness Seminars: Attend at least 3 live seminars or watch 3 on-demand webcasts between January 1, 2023 and October 31, 2023
- Macalester’s Wellness 5K Run/Walk in October 2023
- 3 in-person or video coaching sessions with Macalester’s on-site Wellness Coach from HealthPartners